Height: 0.325 m
Length: 0.96 m
Width: 0.715 m
Marble from Penteli
First Floor, North
Inscribed base of a dedication decorated with relief scenes on the front. It was discovered between 1852 and 1853 at the west edge of the Acropolis built into a tower of the Beulé gate.
The base consisted of three or more blocks on which at least three bronze statues were erected. Today only the two blocks survive. On the left block of the base seven bearded men are depicted. They are all wrapped in their himatia dancing the kyklios. A woman dressed in chiton and himation is also depicted. On the right block eight nude youths, in two groups of four, dance the pyrriche. They wear helmets and hold in their left hands shields. Behind them stands another woman, also dressed in chiton and himation. Both women have been interpreted as the personifications of the concept of competition or the tribes to which the competitors belong.
On the upper part of the base there is the inscription ΝΙΚΗ[ΣΑΣ ΚΥΚΛΙΟΙ ΧΟ]ΡΩΙ. [ΠΥΡΡΙΧ]ΙΣΤΑΙΣ ΝΙΚΗΣΑΣ ΑΤΑΡΒΟΣ ΛΥ[ΣΙΣΤΡΑΤΟΥ ΑΝΕΘΗΚΕ Κ]ΗΦΙΣΟ[Δ]ΟΡΟ[Σ ΗΡΧΕ], meaning "Atarbos, the son of Lysistratos from the municipality of Thorikos after winning the kyklios and the pyrriche dances, dedicated these statues, when Kephisodoros was archon". The archon's name helps us place the competition during the Lesser Panathenaia in 323/2 BC.
The use of your data is described in the privacy settings